
In other news I've been reading Radical by David Platt, and finding it a mixed bag. In some ways it is convicting, challenging, and edifying. In other ways it not quite as helpful. I appreciate very much Kevin DeYoung's review of the book. As usual, Kevin is balanced, loving, and well-articulated. You can find Kevin's review here.
Here is one of the challenging quotes from the book.
"In this book I want to show you that, with the best of intentions, we have actually turned away from Jesus. We have in many areas blindly and unknowingly embraced values and ideas that are common in our culture but are antithetical to the gospel he taught. Here we stand amid an American dream dominated by self-advancement, self-esteem, and self-sufficiency, by individualism, materialism, and universalism. Yet I want to show you our desperate need to revisit the words of Jesus, to listen to them, to believe them, and to obey them. We need to return with urgency to a biblical gospel, because the cost of not doing so is great for our lives, our families, our churches, and the world around us" (pg. 19).
By the way, I got this copy of Radical as a free gift from Multnomah Books because I attended Band of Bloggers. Thanks Multnomah!

No comments:
Post a Comment